Monday, October 26, 2009

Back by Popular Demand

Owing to the overwhelming demand for another short story, here y'all go.
Another Late Night

“I didn’t hear you come in last night, Fred.”

“Damn right you didn’t, Lady. I still have skills.”

“Another night skulking around town?” she asked.

“Yeah, found a great new bistro. Not too far away, fabulous food. Dining alfresco is wonderful in the summer: And the girls; oh my, the girls.” Fred slicked his hair back behind his ear.

“You get any action?”

“That’s a rather indiscreet question, don’t you think?”

“Well, I don’t get out much anymore. I sort of live vicariously through you.”

“Yes, since the operation…” Fred let the sentence trail off, then he sauntered over and whispered in her ear, “but since you ask, I’ll say this; it was a hot night and some screaming was heard in the neighborhood.”

“Yeah,” she replied dreamily. “I remember a few nights like that out with the boys myself.”

“What about them?” Fred asked, nodding toward the bed.

“Nothing much, he snores, she goes to the bathroom every hour.”

“Still with the huge stomach?”

“Yep, I don’t know what’s up with that. They never tell us a damn thing. I think she should have a doctor look at that.”

“Relax, girl. If it were serious we would know. She’s a big girl; she can take care of herself.” Fred arched his back in a stretch and a yawn. “Well, I’m gonna hit the sack. I need my strength for tomorrow night.”

I suppose you’re right, good night, Fred.”

“G’nite, kiddo.” Fred hopped up onto the bed and found a nice warm spot in the small of the back of the sleeping woman.

She roused slightly, threw her arm back and scratched Fred behind the ears. “Stupid cat,” she murmured, “been out all night again?” Fred purred loudly.

Lady circled three times in her bed on the floor then curled up and went back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment